May 3, 1919 ~ July 15, 2012
John J. Higgiston of Hamden, CT died July 15, 2012 at his home. Mr. Higgiston was born in Waterbury on May 3, 1919 a son of the late Michael and Attracta (Loftus) Higgiston. He was the beloved husband of Louise Octavio Higgiston, and devoted father to his daughter Mary Louise. He is also survived by eight nieces and nephews for whom he was a role model and caring uncle. He was predeceased by his parents, his brother Michael, and sisters, Helen and Margaret Higgiston of Waterbury. During World War II, he served in the US Navy in the Pacific and on the destroyer tender, USS Klondike. He returned to finish his undergraduate work at Duquesne University, received a masters degree from Fairfield University and attended law school at Fordham University. He did further graduate work at Fairfield University. Mr. Higgiston taught history at Henry Abbot Technical School in Danbury, and at Central Connecticut College. He served as Assistant Director at Eli Whitney Technical School in Hamden and as consultant with the Connecticut Department of Education. He also served as Connecticut's first Director of Manpower Development and Training under Governor John Dempsey. Mr. Higgiston ended his distinguished career as Bureau Chief of Connecticut's network of Vocational-Technical Schools. During his retirement Mr. Higgiston was active in Ascension Church of Hamden where he served as a Minister of the Eucharist, as president of the League of Mary, as a member of both the Men's Club and Parish Finance Council. The family would like to thank Akua Fischer, Angie Shillingford and Bernadette DiGuilian for their wonderful care of John and his family. Relatives and friends are invited to attend a Mass of Christian Burial on Wednesday, July 18 at 10 am in the Church of the Ascension, 1050 Dunbar Hill Rd, Hamden. Interment with Military Honors in St. Peter's Cemetery, Danbury. Arrangements in care of BEECHER & BENNETT, 2300 WHITNEY AVE, HAMDEN. In lieu of flowers donations may be made to CT Hospice, 100 Double Beach Rd, Branford, CT, 06405.